At Seenons we are on a mission to bring people together for a waste-free world. Most important is that we’re in it together. No team, no nothing. As there is no time to waste, we are looking for an Head of Operations NL to join our mission!
Make an impact
Waste is a growing worldwide challenge. Each year, in the Netherlands alone, we send 2.75 megatons of waste to the incinerator or to landfill. That is the equivalent of 76 million wheelie bins of valuable materials! This needs to change and that’s why Seenons was started in 2019 with the clear mission to save as much materials from waste as possible and speed up the transition towards a circular economy. We have developed a platform and app which matches fine mesh waste streams with waste processors who give it a second-life. We do this together with 45+ employees in the Houthavens in Amsterdam. As a team we value freedom and ownership, making us go to work full of energy every day. We dare to steer our own course and do things just that little bit differently.
A leader who can build a world-class delivery org
We have set the wheels in motion by building a highly motivated and capable team to deliver our Dutch service operations, but we need the right person to steer the ship through the upcoming scaling phase. This role, reporting to the COO, is to provide leadership for a team of 20 (and growing) operations staff as they continue to work towards operational excellence and prepare for exponential growth across the Netherlands.
This is a big role. We will expect you to:
- Own the strategy for Operations NL; defining it in conjunction with your teams and the COO and reporting to the board on your teams’ progress against their strategic objectives
- Be the focal point and principal interface for operations within the business, ensuring that all appropriate stakeholders in the org have a clear understanding of strategy, interactions, and ways-of-working with all parts of the NL ops team
- Lead the 4x teams within Operations NL (Support & Planning, Logistics, Processing and Zero Waste), taking accountability for their performance and happiness
- Support our teams in building resilience, repeatability and efficiency into their ways of working and in ensuring we always have the optimum team structures in place so that we are ready for scale
- Support our international expansion by coaching other operations managers in new and growing locations on how best to set up and scale their orgs
We understand that this is a huge responsibility to take on from Day 1, so for the first 3 months we will place you in an interim role as Operations and Assets Manager. A role that we think will place you well for learning the ropes:
- Be the accountable person for ensuring that all ‘complex’ in-field issues across all Operations teams are resolved with appropriate long-term solutions
- Perform an informal assessment of the main pain points and bottlenecks within the Operations function, hosting team sessions on how to resolve these and ensure solutions are scored and scheduled accordingly
- Own and optimize the use of our assets
- Dive into our data. Use your own intuition and insights extracted from your findings within the team to create new analyses that help us spot hidden issues and optimize our performance
Qualities our new Head of Operations NL should be:
- A great leader. We expect our leaders to be emotionally aware, have a good high-level perspective, and to have an acute sense of what needs to be done next in order to keep everyone at their best.
- A good communicator. This role is about making sure the different teams within Operations are well represented and integrated within the company. You will lead by example.
- A structured and analytical thinker. The road to scale requires the team to keep increasing in structure and rigor, so you must share this mindset.
- As excited as we are by our mission. Enough said.
- University level education. Discipline is not important, as we often find that some of our best people come from diverse backgrounds.
- Minimum 10 years work experience, at least 6 of which should include leading large teams. This doesn’t all have to be operations-specific, but you must be able to demonstrate consistent experience in using the qualities above.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English.
Our mission and values are something we cherish and live by everyday. They help guide us and the way we do business so we can work effectively together and make as much impact as possible.
You can read our values here on our website – do we sound like a good match for you?
What we offer
- The chance to experience the first days of an ambitious and fast-growing startup.
- A learning curve so steep you’ll be doing loop-the-loops.
- A competitive salary.
- A team of 45 young, enthusiastic and international colleagues.
- The opportunity to contribute to the race to zero waste together.
- An opportunity to really make a difference within our organization. Lots of freedom and responsibility. Your opinion counts!
- A hip, renovated office in the Houthavens area in Amsterdam.
- A fresh, local, vegetarian lunch every day and we enjoy a drink at the office on Fridays in our bar.